Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Batak People of Indonesia

Orang Batak is an ethnic group found in the Northern Sumatera Island of Indonesia. They are relatively known in Indonesia and can be found staying near Medan and also the Lake Toba.
I visited the settlement twice, first in 2004 and then again in 2007. I love Brastagi and this place is cool and have a lovely atmosphere to it. When I was there in 2004, I have the chance to witnessed a Batak wedding.
I love the atmosphere to it. As I was a visitor, they simply invited me to their wedding too. Its a party where all are invited to come!
Food was served with good helping but just that I am uncomfortable with how it was served! The food was served in a pail and you just dug from there! As I was eating, a lot of imagination runs through my mind!

For example, what do they use the pail for when they don't serve food?

But the occasion was a merry one! The bride and groom danced all morning just to pay respect to visitors and also family members!

Guess who are there, came in their best. One thing I learn about them apart from their hospitality is also that, they are good at balancing things on top of their head!

Indonesian have a lot of nice food. I love to be in Indonesia trying and tasting different foods with rich aromas and flavors too. I have the chance to taste home cook food when I visit Gunung Karo and it simply just awesome!
Their children are friendly too! They love people visiting them and will just crowd around you to play and they are not shy!

You asked them questions and they will raise their hand to answer! One thing I am sure, they are not like our own children back home, when you asked question, our children will just keep quite and look away!Adults too, they always gave their best to their guess and serve the best with little they have. I enjoyed the time when I was there with them as they invite me to their home and we chat as if we have known each other for years!
The Batak still live a life full of superstitious and this is a house where their witch doctors live! Its about 3 story high and when I was there, I have a peek inside only to see a scull hanging from the roof!

No comments: